Monday, November 30, 2009

Culture Shock

Just a word of concern: Through this post I really do not mean to offend anyone in any way or manner....I just wanted to share with you all my thoughts about my experience.



A two months ago, BBC published an article that explained the building tensions between India and China. India, following China with the largest population in the world, is starting to catch up with China in economic outputs. With the advantage of cheap labor, India is producing a lot more products that is being exported to the foreign countries. Well, China used to being the leader in everything, does not like the thought of competition. So...started the tensions between these two amazing countries. In the article China accuses the Indian press with publishing an article that bashed the Chinese people.


Here's the link:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8351439.stm


This summer I had the honor to attend a Secondary Student Training Program (SSTP) at the University of Iowa. It's a six week long summer camp where I got to work with a pediatric neurologist, Dr. Alexander Bassuk, in his research laboratory. Even though this experience was supposed to be educational, I felt that this experience was a bonding period between the Oriental and Indian cultures. While applying to this program, I imagined that there will be a lot of Caucasians inducted into this program. However, I was completely shocked when I got to the dorms. As far as I could tell you guys, about a large majority were either Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or Indians. My Liaison was Japanese and one of the male Resident Assistants was Korean.



When I told this to my friends at school, all they could say was..."Why are you shocked? You are Indian and they're Chinese. It's just understood that you guys are freakishly smart!" I mean, we are smart, but our smartness is developed and nurtured. The biggest reason as to why I was shocked is that, I know that most of my Caucasian friends are very smart, but they never realize that. They don't use that smartness to its full potential. They either waste it, or just don't recognize it. They just put themselves down. Indians and Chinese are hardworking in nature. While Caucasians on the other hand like to take the easy way out (again...not trying to be offensive here). They, Caucasians, like to get things done easily, fast, and without much effort. While, Indian and Chinese like to be thorough, detailed, and perfect with their work.



What I'm really trying to say is that my summer experience at SSTP made me realize that my culture, my heredity, is not a privilege. I have to work for it. I mean...I feel that I'm becoming more Americanized everyday. Even though that its a good thing in a way, I'm always a Indian at heart. I need to remember my culture, and where I actually come from. Going the SSTP camp made me realize that.

No comments:

Post a Comment