Monday, December 14, 2009

Guide to Expatriates

The most embarrassing situation anyone can get into is when they don't completely understand the culture of their residence town. This mostly happens when foreigners go to a different country to live for a given period of time. These people are known as Expatriates. I just heard from my good friends that their family might be moving to India for a few years and they wanted me to give them some advice. I decided that I might as well write up a general advice for all the people that might be a future expatriate to India. India is one of the fast growing countries in the new century. It has many outsourcing opportunities that foreign governments take advantage of. Many people who go to India as expatriates are diplomats, employees (under contract), consulate staff, and multinational corporation’s workers.

These people move to India with a variety of visions. First of all, they are there to gain "foreign experience." This strengthens their resume and will increase their chances of gaining higher levels of office in their company. Secondly, they are here to experience the new culture. Many people think Indian culture is rich and beautiful. Some come to India to learn more about the culture and conduct culture based studies here. The others come to India for the ever open opportunities. This growing nation is just waiting to attract foreigners and open opportunities is just one of its strategies.I'm an expatriate myself. My dad is living in the U.S because my dad has a job here and until he quits or gets laid off we are stuck in the U.S. I know how hard it is to get accustomed to a new culture. Hopefully my tips in the next few blogs will be useful to a lot of readers.

Even though most of these advices are for people moving to India, they can be altered to be used in any other South Asian countries. Moreover, these advices are not just for adults, they are applicable to kids too. Keep reading my next few posts to learn about some advices to help you out when moving to India, or any other South Asian county.

No comments:

Post a Comment